Tailgating prep is swinging into action - the sad, sad, folks who have to "pick" which home games to attend are coordinating hotel rooms (already reserved, of course) and RVs.
But when are we going to build the outdoor dancefloor?
Here's a recipe for a delicious snack...
Ham and cheese pinwheels
1 pkg (17.3 oz) frozen Puff Pastry Sheets, thawed (Pepperidge Farm's are good)
1 egg, slightly beaten
4 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
3/4 cup (approx 3 oz) grated Gruyere Cheese
4 oz deli ham, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Lay both puff pastry sheets flat, on a lightly floured surface, long side facing outward. Brush, far edge of pastry, lightly with beaten egg.
3. Spread 2 Tbsp dijon mustard evenly with pastry brush, on each pastry sheet, to within 2 inches of all four sides. Sprinkle cheese over mustard; cover cheese evenly with ham.
4. Roll pastry, in jellyroll fashion, starting at nearest side until ham and gruyere roll meets far side. Seal at edge; place seam-side down. Gently transfer to baking sheet and place in freezer for about 20 min or until firmed nicely. Remove from freezer; slice into 1/2-inch slices. Lay slices flat on lightly greased baking sheet about 1 inch apart.
5. Place baking sheet on middle rack of oven. Bake 14-15 min, or until golden brown.
Can be made ahead and refrigerated or frozen until game day.
At the tailgate - bring pinwheels up to "room temperature" (so they aren't ice cold), toast on a warm grill/griddle and serve.