Hey! We’re actually going to answer these ones!!!
And yes, I am feeling much better now - thanks for asking.
The questions this week are from JoePa's Doghouse:
Matt McGloin played a very good game. He made some big-time throws, managed the game, and didn’t make the critical mistake. That said, as long as Rob Bolden is medically cleared, he should be the starter now and forever. So, with that out of the way, here we go…
1. Congratulations to Evan Royster for breaking the all-time Penn State rushing record. Where do you rank him compared to the PSU running backs you have seen play live?
Evan looked great on Saturday - much better than he has all season, and maybe even last. I do, however, remember thinking he was pretty keen a few years back... - I’ve been watching Penn State football all my life, and the Lions have fielded so many impressive backs over the years (and years). Where do I rank Royster? Well, so many fans/pundits
2. Okay, I guess we need to have one QB question. Will we see Kevin Newsome get any significant playing time this year? Where do you think he will be in 2011?
No, no I don’t. Will he transfer? It’s probably a good idea for him if he is not clicking with the Penn State program/scheme - but I really haven’t thought so much about it.
3. Against Michigan, Nate Cadogan was used as a "TE" in some goal line situations. What other outside the box ideas (offense or defense) can you come up with to provide additional sparks?
I’d say that the coaching crew went far beyond the expectations and imagination of just about everyone in the stands Saturday night - What more could they do? Tackle.
4. Which lifted curse was most satisfying: Royster converting a 4th & 1, Graham Zug making big-time catches, offensive success in the red zone, or PSU winning as underdog? Do you think it will carry over for the remainder of the season?
Red zone touchdowns, full stop. However, Royster’s 4th and 1 run was key to the victory and great to see, and, I, personally, was thrilled to see Zug make some big time plays.
I’m cynical - I think a big part of PSU’s success is owed to michigan - they couldn’t adjust (or execute). A better (smarter) team (coach) will be the true test - The Lions will have to play very well on Saturday to confirm any progress.
5. Whether you were at this game or not, we've all had to put up with douchebag Michigan fans. Give me your best encounter with such a jerk.
Hmmm, michigan. I guess fans in the stadium were the “worst” um’ers I’ve ever encountered (I mean, in real life they’re pretty darn smug). But they were pretty “good” last week.
Kibbles N Bits
1) If you had to choose, would you rather have JoePa get his 400th win at home this Saturday against Northwestern or next week in front of stunned Buckeyes? I want Penn State to win this weekend - regardless of any records.
2) Northwestern has given up more sacks than any team in the Big Ten. Penn State has recorded the second fewest. I’m setting the over/under at 1.5. What say you? Oh, let’s hope it’s over.
3) You have to admit that Northwestern has a pretty ugly color combination. Let’s throw them a bone. What’s your most prized purple possession? Interesting question - I dislike all things purple this week - but if I had to choose, it would be... my purple calculator.